Buffalo Bayou is looking for a Brewery Operations Manager to manage all aspects of the production department, including brewing operations, packaging operations, production planning, incoming ingredients and materials, utilities, maintenance and projects. The position will oversee production schedules and ensure the implementation of all standard operating procedures to maintain consistency, quality and efficiency throughout the production process. As an integral part of the leadership team, the Brewery Operations Manager will contribute to the continued growth, creativity and strategic expansion of Buffalo Bayou.
We are looking for someone who can complement our long-term vision with their production skills. The right candidate will be responsible for the day-to-day oversight of a 30-barrel brewhouse, as well as all equipment and employees involved in the production and packaging of a variety of styles of beer – in strict adherence to process standards , quality and safety of Buffalo Bayou.
The right person will have the ability to maintain consistency, quality and efficiency throughout the production process, while fostering a positive teamwork environment. Extensive skills in all aspects of beer production including grain handling, yeast management, filtration, sanitation, packaging, QA/QC and product innovation are required . Knowledge, creation and constant evolution of all production standard operating procedures are necessary.
Houston’s most creative brewery, Buffbrew has been a local pioneer for over a decade at the forefront of creativity in Houston. Surpassing 14,000 bbls in 2021, Buffbrew has maintained steady and continuous growth over its 10 years of operation, now ranking as the 2nd largest independent craft brewer in Houston and one of the top 10 independent craft brewers by volume in Texas. Combining traditional brewing concepts with a forward-thinking approach guided by flavor theory, Buffbrew challenges every assumption, drawing inspiration from Texas’ pioneering history and the adventurous spirit of a culinary city. Buffbrew is only available in Texas. For more information about Buffalo Bayou Brewery Co., visit buffbrew.com
Main duties :
The Brewery Operations Manager reports to Buffalo’s CEO and directs all process and production functions related to brewing, cellaring, packaging, operational maintenance and quality assurance. Responsibilities include managing and directing day-to-day operations, overseeing the procurement of all brewing materials (including chemicals and sanitation), ensuring the accuracy and completion of all ERP system inputs, the constant search for innovations in the development process and the continuous improvement of methods to positively affect quality, consistency and efficiency. The Brewery COO will also collaborate with the management, sales and marketing teams on quarterly strategic, innovation and brand initiatives.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assess staffing needs, determine the skills and experience required for each role so that the department is fully staffed and trained.
- Manage an aggressive training program that not only provides opportunities for the team and supports professional growth and development, but also maximizes flexibility with scheduling and skills.
- Develop methods to educate the team on our beers, quality management and problem solving.
- Develop a comprehensive training program for all new and established operations staff that ensures proper execution of all SOPs and is aligned with company goals and personal growth policies.
- Serve as a resource and be available to team members at all levels. Encourage process improvement initiatives and contributions at all levels.
- Conduct periodic performance reviews with members of the operations team.
- Evaluate wort and beer quality daily, with respect to analytical results, process consistency and taste. Implement changes to improve beer processes, recipes, flavor and consistency. Evaluate new ingredients and processes.
- Ensure base beers meet established flavor targets and develop corrective actions when undesirable flavor trends are observed.
- Ensure all standard operating procedures are up to date (with QC team) and monitor compliance by all operations staff.
- Develop annual ingredient requirements and work with the brewing department, purchasing and suppliers to ensure the highest quality ingredients at competitive prices based on brewing projections.
- Ensure that standard, consistent and sound brewing procedures and practices are used for all production department tasks.
- Oversee the inventory system (using CRAFTED ERP software) and oversee accurate monthly appraisals of all brewery items including production supplies and brewery products.
- Manage brewing plan and packaging plan to ensure brewing and packaging scheduling and production meet business requirements. Ensure that the supply of beer is adequate, the quality is high and appropriate stock levels are maintained.
- Ensure a safe work environment and culture that encompasses safe work habits, understanding of risks, compliance with regulations, and prioritization of corrective action for any identified safety hazard or risk.
- Monitor, evaluate and continually improve brewing operations to balance quality, efficiency, cost savings and profitability.
- Ensure that all equipment and operating systems have sufficient capacity, are reliable and contribute positively to the quality of our beer.
- Ensure production areas are clean and organized at all times.
- Make sure team members have the tools, knowledge, and equipment they need to do their job.
- With input from senior management, develop performance and productivity metrics for all production areas and hold operations staff accountable for achieving these goals.
- Exceed customer expectations when providing services, products and information to other departments and external customers.
- Work with Brewery and Engineering/Maintenance to develop long term capital plans, ROI projects and participate in project management and long term goal setting for the brewery.
- Drive R&D initiatives as determined by the leadership team, from new recipe formulation to cost control measures.
- Develop alternatives for the future organizational structure to best manage business growth.
- Demonstrate leadership in innovation, creativity and unique approaches to opportunities and problems.
- Seek opportunities for new products, ingredients, brewing techniques, technical developments and processes.
- Manage the brewery’s operational budgets.
- Foster an environment of continuous improvement with respect to team member performance, beer consistency and quality, production processes, and department strategy and goals.
- Support local, national and international events (beer dinners, beer events, festivals and sales tours) as needed and requested to assist the sales team and regional representatives.
- Be an ambassador for Buffalo Bayou in the craft brewing community by supporting the Brewers Association, the Brewmasters Association, and the events and activities of other professional organizations.
- Bachelor’s degree from a four-year college or university in a scientific field related to brewing such as food science, fermentation science, microbiology, biochemistry, mechanical or chemical engineering.
- Minimum of 5 years of related experience and demonstrated track record in implementing and managing brewing and preferably beer packaging operations and achieving high levels of performance.
- Demonstrated in-depth knowledge of the craft beer industry and experience in brewing craft beer.
- Minimum of 5 years of demonstrated experience and familiarity with production and inventory management systems CMMS, ERP, development and change management thereof in standard operations.
- Experience using reliability tools such as Pareto analysis, Failure Mode and Effects Analysis (FMEA), Reliability Centered Maintenance (RCM), and Root Cause Analysis ( RCA).
- Lean/6sigma certification or experience desired.
- An effective and persuasive communicator with exceptional presence and presentation skills who constantly strive for simplicity and clarity.
- Strong leadership, team member and staff/team development and motivation skills.
- Experience with brewery ERP systems preferred.
- Ability to speak effectively in front of groups of employees, senior management and the board of directors.
- Proficiency in office and project management tools including Microsoft Project, SharePoint, MS Office Suite, etc.
- Proficiency in English language required.