Apply for a job
JOB DESCRIPTION – Director of Brewing Operations (DBO)
- department: Brewing
- Reports to: VP of Operations
- FLSA status: Salary, Exempt
- Member of the management team, of the new product development team, of the safety committee.
As an experienced brewery leader, the DBO is responsible for all aspects of the beer production process and day-to-day operations of the brewery and winery. This is a high-level leadership role within the organization that involves several critical tasks including managing brewing and cellar teams, making purchasing decisions, meeting with all parties brewery stakeholders, developing new beers and other products, setting production targets, managing resources and maintaining high quality standards.
The DBO must be able to work effectively and efficiently in a fast-paced production environment and possess excellent organizational and communication skills. Successful candidates will have the opportunity to join an experienced management team in a dynamic and growing industry.
- Responsible for the development and production of all products for Uinta’s two brewing systems, a 40Bbl Santa Rosa and 120Bbl BrauKon brewhouse.
- Oversees all brewhouse and cellar activities; coordinates and plans all production activities with senior production and quality personnel.
- Establish and maintain a high level of quality and compliance.
- Track, measure and report brewhouse and cellar data to maintain labor efficiency and performance goals for each of our products.
- Recommend and implement process and procedural changes consistent with industry best practices.
- Contribute to the development of the department; lead staff training and development.
- Understand and drive expectations to keep the work area organized for efficient operation.
- Actively anticipate needs and resolve potential issues before they arise.
- Anticipate and plan for changes in customer needs, new technologies and industry conditions.
- Communicate effectively with brewing and production teams regarding the status of process flow and consistency.
- Perform and/or schedule routine preventative maintenance and troubleshooting maintenance on process manufacturing equipment when scheduled or required.
- In cooperation with QA/QC team, manage QA activities to ensure products meet QA specifications and standards.
- Lead research and development activities to drive innovation on new products and continuously improve product and process quality.
- Be an ambassador for our beers to the industry and the public.
- Meaningfully participate in the development and implementation of Uinta’s annual strategic plan.
- Coordinate and participate in the writing of monthly, quarterly and annual management reports used in financial review, budgeting, capital projects and forecasting.
- Work with external service providers, such as auditors, engineers and consultants.
- Interact with all employees and cross all departments to advance the flow of information and achieve short and long term business goals.
- Spend time, as required, observing all production functions performed for all shifts, including weekend shifts. Interact daily with employees and managers of these shifts.
- Provide guidance and direction to planning staff on ways to improve supply chain timelines and turnover.
- Maintain a constant presence in our daily sensory panel; encourage the active participation of the brewing team and the cellar.
- Applicants must be 21 years of age or older.
- A degree in chemistry, brewing, distillation or other relevant field is preferred.
- Expert skill in brewing/fermentation science.
- Experience in MRP package required; The orchestrated beer experience is preferred.
- High level of competence in mathematics, physics, chemistry and microbiology.
- Understanding of the production process as it relates to brewing – canning, bottling, keg.
- Essential mechanical skills/skills/knowledge. Strong working knowledge of equipment with multiple logic functions and capabilities requiring specialized training.
- Ability to read and understand a variety of scientific instruments and calculations.
- A high level proficiency in MS Office applications is essential.
- Understanding of Good Manufacturing Practices (GMP) and food safety standards.
- Demonstrate initiative and judgment and make decisions within assigned authority.
- Interpret and understand policies and relate them to others.
- Read, analyze and interpret periodicals, journals, technical procedures and/or government regulations as required.
- Must be highly organized with great attention to detail; able to work independently and in a team.
- Strong ability to motivate, influence and interact with diverse groups of people.
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from customers, suppliers and business partners.
- Must be honest and dependable and maintain the ability to prioritize and multi-task.
- Professional and competent verbal and written communication skills.
- Willingness to travel.
Disclaimer: Physical working conditions are required for this position. Working in, on and around pressurized vessels and pipes containing air, CO2, water, beer, chemicals, steam and hazardous chemicals is commonplace. Work areas are mechanical in nature, require permits for confined spaces, fall protection devices for elevated workstations, and require a significant amount of walking and working on wet and slippery surfaces. Processing temperatures range from 2°C to 100°C, resulting in varying ambient temperature conditions. The brewer may regularly encounter some level of dust when handling malt raw materials or diatomaceous earth. Moderate physical activity is required with occasional handling of objects up to 100 pounds and/or up to 50 pounds frequently.
Apply for a job